Dr. Vebhuti Duggal
Assistant Professor , School of Culture and Creative Expressions
- PhD, Cinema Studies, School of Arts and Aesthetics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 2016.
- MPhil, Cinema Studies, School of Arts and Aesthetics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 2011.
- MA, English, Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi, 2008.
- BA English (Hons), Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi, 2006.
I was a research associate at Sarai-Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, 2016 - 2017. Prior to that I taught English literature in various colleges of the University of Delhi between 2008 - 2016.
My Zone / Area of Expertise
Sound Studies, Music Studies, Media Theory/history, Critical Theory, contemporary Indian cinema
- CSDS-ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship, 2013 - 2016.
- UGC JRF (English), 2012.
- Short term research fellowship, James Beveridge Media Resource Centre at the AJK School of Mass Communication, Jamia Millia Islamia, 2009 - 2010.
- (co-edited with Bindu Menon and Spandan Bhattacharya) Film Studies: An Introduction. Delhi: Worldview Publications, 2021 (forthcoming).
- (co-edited with Christin Hoene) Special Issue on Empire and the Senses: Case Studies from late colonial India in South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies Vol 44, issue 5 (Oct. 2021).
- (with Christin Hoene) “The Politics of Broadcasting in late colonial India” in Smith, Haukump & Hoene (eds) Asian Sound Cultures. London: Routledge, 2021 (forthcoming).
- “Seeing print, hearing song: Tracking the film song through paper, c. 1955 - 75” in Tejaswini Niranjana (Ed) Music, Modernity and the Public Sphere in India. Oxford/ New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2020, pp. 135 - 157.
- “Imagining sound through the pharmaish: radios and request-postcards in North India, c. 1955 -75” in BioScope: South Asian Screen Studies, Volume 9, issue 1 (June 2018), pp. 1 - 23. DOI: 10.1177/0974927618767270.
- (with Aditi Deo) “Radios, memory-cards and ringtones, or how the mobile phone became our favourite music-playback device,” in South Asian Popular Culture, Volume 15, issue 1, 2017, pp. 41 - 56. DOI: 10.1080/14746689.2017.1351086.
- (with Christin Hoene) “Introduction: Making Sense of Empire” in South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies Vol 44, issue 5 (Oct. 2021)
- (with Bindu Menon and Spandan Bhattacharya) “Film Studies: An Introduction” in Film Studies: An Introduction. Delhi: Worldview Publications, 2021 (forthcoming).
- “Keyword: Intermediality” in BioScope: South Asian Screen Studies, Volume 12, issue 1 & 2, 2021.
- “Bollywood” and “Film Music” in Janet Sturman (Ed) Sage Encyclopaedia of Music and Culture. Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications, 2019, pp. 378 - 381, 925 - 927.
- “The ‘Pirate’ DJ” in Marg: A Magazine for the Arts, Vol. 64, No. 4 (100 Years of Bombay Cinema), 2013, pp. 42 – 51.
- “Filming Horror: Hindi cinema, ghosts and ideologies” in Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television. Vol 37, No 1, 2017, pp. 128 – 130.
- “More than Bollywood: Studies in Indian Popular Music” in Studies of South Asian Film and Media Vol. 6 No. 1, 2014, pp. 79 – 82.