Mr. Deepan Sivaraman
Associate Professor , School of Culture and Creative Expressions
2008- PhD (Yet to be awarded) Wimbledon College of Art, University of The Arts London
Thesis title: Spatial identities and visual language in Indian theatre
My PhD thesis entitled Spatial identities and visual language in Indian theatre critically examines the spatial issues surrounding India’s colonial, urban proscenium theatre spaces and explores the possibilities of developing an interactive theatre space and visual language in modern Indian theatre alternative to word based drama.
2004- MA in Scenography, Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design London.
Course modules: History of scenography, visual language of performance, object and space
dramaturgy, contemporary scenography practice in Europe and USA,
Dissertation: Scenography as a moving installation.
2002- MPhil in Theatre Arts, Mahatma Gandhi University Kottayam, Kerala, India.
Dissertation: Transmutation process of adapting a drama from a novel.
1999- MA in Theatre and Dramatic Arts, Pondicherry Central University, India.
Theory of classical Indian theatre- The Natyashastra, Indian theatre under British rule, post -
colonial Indian theatre, intercultural theatre, direction ( specialization).
Dissertation: Visual images in painting and drama.
1997- BA in Theatre Arts (Design), School of Drama Thrissur, Calicut University Kerala, India.
Basics of design, model making, stage crafts, theatre, direction, theatre architecture
Associate Professor & Dean of School (O)
2012 - Present
MA Performance Studies programme coordinator, School of Culture and Creative Expressions Ambedkar University, Kashmere Gate, Lothian Road, Delhi 110006
Employment History in Teaching
2012- Present - Visiting professor in Scenography- National School of Drama Delhi.
Modules- Scenography, Dramaturgy through design.
2009-2012- Associate Lecturer - Wimbledon College of Art London.
Scenography, Shakespeare in focus, Dramaturgy through scenography.
2009-2012 - Visiting Lecturer - International Summer Academy for Creative Arts and Media Venice.
Modules- Three dimensional art, Scenography.
2009-2014 Visiting lecturer - University of Hyderabad, School of performing Arts.
Modules- Scenography, direction, promenade theatre & devised theatre.
2005- 2007 -Associate lecturer - MA Scenography, Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design
Modules: Dramaturgy through design, Scenography
My Zone / Area of Expertise
Employment history in professional theatre practice (selected works)
- 2018- The Girl in the Drain directed by Dr. Anuradha Kapur, National School of Drama Delhi.
- 2017- The Naked Voices, directed by Neelam Mansingh Chowdhry, National School of Drama Delhi.
- 2016- Talatum, directed by Abhilash Pillai, Serendipity Art Trust Delhi
- 2016- Bitter Fruit, directed by Neelam Mansingh Chowdhry, National School of Drama Delhi.
- 2012- Virasat, directed by Dr. Anuradha Kapur, National School of Drama Delhi.
- 2008- The Little India, directed by Emily Grey, Trestle Theatre, UK
- 2006- Palm Grove Tales, directed by Abhilash Pillai, School of Drama Thrissur
- 2003- Siddartha, directed by Jyothish MG, Abhinaya Theatre Centre Thiruvananthapuram
- 2002- Bhagvadajjukeeyam, direction: Jyothish MG, Abhinaya Theatre Centre Thiruvananthapuram
- 2001- Verdigris, directed by Abhilash Pillai, Abhinaya Theatre Centre Thiruvananthapuram
- 2000- Thathri Realizing Self, directed by J Shailaja, Kriya Collective Thiruvananthapuram
Directorial works along with its scenography.
- 2018- Dark Things. Scenographer and co-director with Dr. Anuradha Kapur, Ambedkar University Delhi.
- 2018- Nationalism Project. Director and scenographer, PS Collective Delhi
- 2015- The Legends of Khasak. Director, dramaturge and scenographer KMK Kerala.
- 2015- The Cabinet of Dr Caligari. Director and scenographer, Performance Studies Collective Delhi
- 2014- It’s Cold in Here. Director & scenographer, Performance studies collective Delhi.
- 2014- Project Nostalgia. Director & scenographer, Ambedkar University Delhi.
- 2013- The Little Prince. Director & scenographer, Ambedkar University Delhi.
- 2011- Ubu Roi. Director, dramaturge & scenographer, National School of Drama Delhi.
- 2010- Peer Gynt Director, dramaturge & scenographer, Oxygen Theatre Company Kerala.
- 2009- Spinal Cord. Director, dramaturge and scenographer, Oxygen Theatre Company Kerala.
- 2004- The circle of the seasons. Director & scenographer, Cochrane theatre London.
- 2004- Dream of Death. Director& scenographer,Theatre Lalka Wroclaw, Poland.
- 2002- Kamala. Director & scenographer- Abhinaya Theatre Research Centre Trivandrum, Kerala
- 1998- Lord of the Flies. Director & dramaturge, Theatre Eye Group Kerala, India.
Memberships & Positions held
- Dean (Offg), School of Culture and Creative Expressions
- member Boska Komedia International Theatre Festival Krakow Poland.
- Artistic Director–International Theatre Festival of Kerala 2014 (ITFOK)
- Jury member International theatre festival M@rt Contact Mogilev, Belarus.
- Member of the Society of British Designers
- Artistic Director –Oxygen Theatre Company Kerala
- Member of Board of Studies – School of Culture and Creative Expressions Ambedkar University Delhi
- External Examiner National School of Drama.
- Malayali of the Year, CNN News 18 Award 2019
- Bishnu Basu Smriti Samman' 2019 for the lifelong contribution to Indian theatre- Kalindi Bratyajon, Kolkata, Bengal
- Vayala Vasudevan Pillai endowment award for the lifelong contribution to Kerala Theatre ( 2017)
- Mahindra Excellence Theatre Awards in Stage Design- The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (META) 2016
- Kerala Sangeet Nataka Akademi Award in the field of Theatre Direction- Kerala Cultural Ministry 2012
- Mahindra Excellence in National Theatre Awards in theatre Direction – Spinal Cord (META) 2010
- Mahindra Excellence in National Theatre Awards in theatre design- Spinal Cord (META) 2010
- Mahindra Excellence in National Theatre Awards in theatre choreography- Spinal Cord (META) 2010
- 2018- Interview with Noel Witts
- 21st Century Performance Reader, Interview, Noel Witts and Teresa Brayshaw, Rutledge. (upcoming)
- 2016- The future of Indian theatre will be based on our ability to intermingle with other
- art disciplines, Critical Stages – IATC, Interview, June 2013, Issue No 8.
- 2016- How authentic is authentic?
- Theatre Public, January to March, No 219 Paris.
- 2013- Paradox of Indian scenography.
- Kasba Argya, April, No 9, Kolkata
- 2010- The Hegemony of the imperial proscenium and its iron grip over post-colonial Indian
- theatre, Afro-Asian theatre festival booklet published by Kerala Cultural Ministry Kerala.
Seminar / Conferences
Selected conference paper presentations
- 2018- Screen to stage, Wuzhen International Theatre Festival- Shanghai China.
- 2017- Spectatorship in contemporary Indian theatre, International Theatre Festival of Kerala
- 2016- Tradition and Innovation, Wuzhen International Theatre Festival- Shanghai China
- 2016- Politics of performance spaces- Spectatorship and privileges, National theatre seminar, Maharaja Agrasan College, Delhi University Delhi.
- 2016- Post Dramatic Turn in Indian Theatre National theatre seminar, Sri Kerala Varma College Kerala, India.
- 2014- Proscenium, realism and spectatorship in Indian theatre, International Theatre Festival of Kerala Colloquium.
- 2014- Theatre of scenography- My explorations with the language, World Theatre Forum, National School of Drama BRM
- 2011- Paradox of Indian scenography, ISTR Annual Conference, Hyderabad Central University India.
- 2010- Challenging the supremacy of WORD in Indian theatre through scenography, CPRACSIS International Theatre Conference, Kerala, India.
- 2009- The hegemony of the imperial proscenium and its iron grip over post-colonial Indian theatre, ISTR Annual Conference, Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi
- 2008- 21st Century theatre building for UK and India, A collaborative presentation with David Burrows. Wimbledon College of Art, University of the Arts London.
- 2008- Space to Space- A talk on theatre and other, Royal Academy of Art London, United Kingdom